Saturday, March 01, 2008

Skiing, Zooing, and Mismatched Clothing

Last night Scott and I went skiing with Clint, our friends Dave and Lisa, and their friend Jennie. It was great weather and tons of fun. In the interest of saving money on babysitting, we brought Kate with us and took shifts watching her in the lodge. She was fairly patient and well-behaved, and she made lots of friends. Here she is on Scott's watch - Daddy's little half-Canadian. I figure this picture is somewhat representative of what she would look like if she normally had something on her head - like hair.

Wearing Scott's gloves.

Here's my husband, taking off on one of his legendary, out-of-control huge jumps. What you can't see is that the other side is a sheer dropoff. He was proud to have only lost one ski on the landing. Although I can't see much value in stunts like this, the cheers of the onlookers made it all worth it to him.
Eating bread and watching the skiers come in.

On President's day we got together with the Swendsen side to have lunch and visit the Hogle zoo. Kate was thrilled to see live versions of all the animals she's learned about through books. Karen and Ryan came too but had to leave before this picture was taken. Kate and Reese were fun little zoo buddies.

The only animal picture we took was this one. At least it was up close.

So I left Kate with Scott for an evening, and when I came home this is how she was dressed. The green hoodie is her bathing suit coverup, made of towel material. I'm now trying to help Scott think beyond his love of the color green when selecting clothes for Kate to wear.

6 comments:

Pops said...

That zoo picture gets pretty interesting if you click on it. In the small version it looks like a routine start-of-the-day family photo. But the big version has quite a bit of extra detail, most interesting being Kate and Reese facing off over Kate's red pacifier, Kate being currently in possession but clearly worried that things won't stay that way.

My grandma once took me to Hogle Zoo, I believe, back in the days when all the cages looked like jail cells -- may not have been too enlightened, but at least there was no trouble finding the animals. Five generations in all. In case anybody is wondering, Napoleon Dynamite did not invent the liger. One existed for many years at Hogle Zoo. Whether that was the only one ever made, I'm not sure.

JenSwen said...

The "red pacifier" is actually an apple slice, which is (debatably) an even better prize. Kate holds her apple slices like watermelon slices, eating them down to the skin which is subsequently discarded.

I wish they still had a liger.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture update -
Kate seems to like wearing hats -
she's so good-natured. We are getting excited to babysit!

The Ziemers said...

I can't believe Scott can jump in skis like that. Of course, I have only been skiing once, so what do I know about skiing. Cute pictures! At least Scott gets Kate dressed at all. Most of the time my kids are running around in their underwear after being left with Steven for a few hours.

Page said...

The pics of Kate in the Canada hat are oh-so-cute.

So glad you could come to the "Sunday night meeting." (That's what I called it so the kids wouldn't confuse it with a party on Sunday.) You are a good friend!

Summer said...

Too cute. Those dads do try hard.....but alas doesn't it melt your heart to see that they are trying? :)