Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Waterton National Park

By some miracle both of my kids are still sleeping(!) so this is my second post in a row. Waterton is incredibly beautiful and I have to thank Scott for his dedication to picture documentation on this trip and always. If it weren't for him we would hardly have pictures of anything because I am so lazy with the camera.

Here is one of the many gorgeous hikes at Waterton.

See, he has to take pictures of himself if he wants to be in any of them!

Jane was a good sport in the front carrier while we hiked and hiked.
There's something mischievous about that smile.

Scott and Kate on a surrey ride. They are these little carts powered by bicycle pedals that you can ride around the townsite. It looks like I finally took a picture, but I think it was actually Scott's sister who took this one...

...and this one. Kate was scared of something here - maybe the loud waterfalls?

Scott and I took this really fun bike ride on the last day. The scenery was amazing. Scott is the talented type who takes pictures and videos while biking downhill at top speed.

Even self-portraits.

View of the Waterton town site on our bike ride.

There were tons of bear sightings on our trip - I only saw 2 but Scott saw 7. I learned that black bears aren't necessarily black.

Kate and her cousin Reese. They were BFFs at this reunion.

Trampoline hair.

The deer at Waterton were out of control. They littered the town and would come close enough for us to pet them (but we didn't dare). Everyone took turns taking pictures close to them though. Check out Scott and Jane's matching expressions.

I didn't go on this golfing excursion but doesn't the course look like something out of a postcard?

We end up with a lot of pictures like this because Kate gets bored while we're trying to coax a smile out of Jane.

Another deer picture.

I love this.

Even Jane found a friend with similar interests - her cousin Sadie (on the right) who is six weeks older.

Chubby tummies should never be hidden. If you've got it, flaunt it.

This was one of Kate's first deer sightings.

A group hike in Red Rock Canyon. It was pretty cool. By the end everyone had given up on keeping their feet dry.
My "cape" (the nursing cover that I brought on the hike in case Jane got hungry). I'm not gonna lie; I kind of enjoyed dressing like a superhero.
After the reunion we had one day to relax at home before leaving for Houston.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you actually see bears that close? Were you scared at all to be that close? or was it just a zoom on your camera, and you were really far away? I don't know. Maybe I just have bearphobia. :D

I loved the post, Jen! Thanks for it!

Christine

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful spot! The deer are so not afraid of anyone - looks like it was a fun time for all.

Mom

Jennie said...

Looks so beautiful. I would've loved to go on that hike with all of the water.

I'm so happy for you that you can be with Scott for his away rotation and be with family at the same time! Love how that can work out sometimes. I bet your mom is just soaking up her grandbabies right now. :)

sam and brittney said...

What a fun trip and how beautiful!! Jen, your daughters are adorable! Your hair looks really cute. Did you get it cut recently? Enjoy home! We both need to be in Houston at the same time really soon!

Pops said...

How come Kate and Jane never mentioned this vacation? I didn't even know it happened.