Saturday, September 05, 2009

August in Houston

We spent the month of August in Houston staying at my parents' house while Scott did an "away rotation" at the hospital there, hoping to get his foot in the door for a residency spot there next year. His rotation went well, and while he was working hard we were hanging out and having fun! It's hard to be back home now with real responsibilities. Who wants that?

Jane is almost four months now and I think we might actually be taking as many pictures of her as we did of our first child.

Unfortunately most of the pictures of her are in this ugly old infant seat. She seems to give us the most smiles and funny faces when she's in there, maybe in hopes that we'll be charmed into taking her out.

Kate bonded with her Aunt Camille over a shared love of makeup. Camille gave her a mini makeover:

Kate hasn't quite mastered the sexy pucker yet.

We toured the Blue Bell Creamery while Clint's girlfriend Becky was visiting. It was fun and there was free ice cream at the end!



I'm trying to take more pictures of Scott with the girls. Jane's half smile here is very Swendsen.



Kate has a hard time producing a natural smile for the camera. (But so do many adults, including me.)

Jane really took a liking to Clint on this trip. They have the shared bond of being the second child. I've also noticed that Jane smiles more readily at men than at women - why is that?





We went to Galveston beach one Saturday with Scott's brother Dan's family who also live in Houston. Jane was shielded from the sun the entire time until she had a diaper blowout and a little dip in the water was necessary.

Lots of Swendsens.

We have a billion pictures of Kate and her cousin Brady at the beach; they had a blast together.

Boogie boarding with a little assistance.
It was Kate's first time at a beach and she really loved it.

Jane didn't know she was at the beach but that was ok.



This happens all the time.

Scott's cousin Clark and his family live in Houston too and they kindly invited us to dinner. We failed to get a picture of the group but Kate had fun with her second cousin(?) Grant.

Kate's first trip to Chuck E Cheese. I've always avoided that place but it really wasn't bad at all. The rides and games were fun and inexpensive, and we didn't eat any of their pizza so that probably helped too.



Some silly Jane pictures.



Astros game! We should have taken more pictures of Christine because she was always hanging out with us and so helpful with the girls. She even shared her room with Kate.

The Houston Children's Museum is amazing. They have a face painting station that was super popular.

A giant hand(?) chair at the museum.

Even more pictures of Jane in her carrier. Cross-eyed:

Despondent:

Fun reading chair at the library.

Giggling because she snuck onto Grandma and Grandpa's bed.
Congratulations if you've made it all the way to the end!

9 comments:

Pops said...

It was great having you here, looking forward to our next visit, whether here or there.

Cassie said...

So many cute pictures!

Anonymous said...

not bad.... i wish i could've gone to the blue bell factory but i just had to go to school.

Austin

Anonymous said...

What fun! Such cute pictures! We miss you guys - I love the picture of Jane smiling at Scott.

Mom

DelinClint said...

3 things:

1. Jane looks like an alien in the blowout picture

2. "Jane didn't know she was at the beach." Awesome.

3. Chuck E Cheese actually has pretty good pizza.

out

Christine said...

I agree, Clint! Chuck E Cheeses actually has great pizza, but NO-O! We couldn't eat it because it might make some people frown! whatever...

Christine

Alisa and Crowells said...

Jane is adorable AND I LOVE that name! I can't believe how BIG Kate is!! You've got some darling girls. Don't you love how those hairbands never stay?! I wonder why I still try to put them on Miss E's head.

Christy Gunnell said...

Jen you look amazing! Seriously, there are no signs of the fact that you have had 2 kids. Which by the way your daughters are beautiful!! I keep hoping that you and Scott will show up to another Real game while we're there so that I can see you guys and meet little Jane.

Sara said...

Hey! I had no idea you were in town for the entire month; I would have loved to have stopped by and at least said "hello." Eh, next time, right? ;)

Your girls are precious--their personalities definitely shine thorough in these pics :)