Saturday, August 21, 2010

Summer 2010 - The Back Nine

Well I checked this thing for updates and, having not seen any, decided to do it myself! Below is a photo documentary of the back half of this summer, which I enjoyed very much!

In July we decided to go camping with our friends, the Steeds. We nabbed this spot at like 9am on that Friday morning, and it was probably the last available in the entire state of Utah. We got very lucky.


Man make fire! This actually proved to be more difficult than we anticipated, despite the aid of briquettes, a closed area, lighter fluid, and a flamethrower (what Becky's mom calls a lighter.)


An inordinate amount of bacon and...


A beautiful woman. What more could I have asked for?


Christine came to volleyball camp not long after, and I had the pleasure of hosting her for a couple days in Provo afterward. Here is us on top of the Y.


Christine's visit turned to Austin's visit, where we promptly headed south for California. Waiting for us there was the object of Austin's affection. No, not Hannah, but Uncle Sam's Tesla. Did we punch it on Sunset Blvd, you ask? Is Taco Bell bad for you?


The view from our seats for game one of Sox-Angels. Pretty sweet eh?


Two fine-looking gentlemen. Not sure who they are, but they were kind enough to let us photograph them in their radiating awesomeness.


Of course we took part in my favorite past time, and tried not to be too noticeable with our rentals and rusty skills in the most notoriously "locals only" beach in Southern California. The fact that mine said "SurfBetty" wasn't too conspicuous. My gain on this leg of the trip, besides some good rides, was another surfing convert.


In front of the Vegas sign, behind some grains of sand.


This guy didn't bother me much, despite his questionable orientation.


After Austin went back to Cypress, Becky, Megan, and I packed up and moved our stuff to Lehi for a week, and then Dad met us and we created the most compact, space-efficient truckload known to modern history. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of these events. Dad?

After two days of useless orientation, we took part in the mandatory white coat ceremony. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the University of Texas at Houston entering medical school class of 2010. 5 points if you can find me.


Here is my big moment in the sunshine. The latter part is not aimless wandering, but rather getting in line to sign the book pictured below.


Agreeing to the Oath of Hippocrates, or as Christine would read it, the Oath of Hypocrites.


My wonderful family, who did so much to make my attainment of this step a reality. Photograph copyright random smart Asian classmate.


Following the opening of a new chapter, I decided to take some time to close the previous one. Becky's and my graduation from BYU!


For at least four grueling minutes, this lady voluntarily produced the most terrible noises every to penetrate the ear of mankind.


Here is the culminating moment of all those weekend hours in the library, those caffeinated all-nighters, those awkward visits to professors' offices to argue grades and, for Becky, a million massive papers. The video-taker expressly apologized for being a split-second too late to catch Becky's name, but her whole walk is here. Hopefully the Mortensens have video footage too.


The Mortensen family.


The Thurber family.


Not everyone gets to graduate with their best friend!


What a summer 2010 was. Our last in Utah, we soaked it up as much as possible. While both Becky and I look fondly upon the many great things Utah gave us (most notably, each other) we are both ready to experience some place new and establish some due independence. Here's to an exciting next four years!

5 comments:

JenSwen said...

That is one densely packed post, and a densely packed summer. Can I do a blanket "congratulations" for everything? Your captions were clever. Also, I have to know why the singer was so bad. I know the pianist well - one of my professors when I was there.

Marleen said...

Jennifer - the pianist did a good job (especially since I noticed his music was blowinging around - probably an A/C vent - and he was trying to play while holding it on the piano - but, Clint is right - the soloist was terrible! Anyway, Clint - very good post - enjoyed your sense of humor and pictures!

Scott said...

Killer summer dude! It all looked like so much fun. Despite my affinity or rather obsession with bacon, it looked like you had more than one could stomach. Better to have extra than not enough. That smell must drive bears/cougars crazy. Congratulations on being white coated.

Christine said...

Awesome blog. I agree with everyone here. I don't know why, but I always seem to have 2-line comments. Everyone else's comments are like a chapter long!

Pops said...

Clint, I just saw this, sorry! Very good post, great captions. What a great summer you had!