Wednesday, December 21, 2011

San Francisco Trip

While most people are posting about Christmas, I'm still catching up on November stuff.  Scott and I have been lucky enough to travel by ourselves to three fun cities since he started residency - New Orleans, San Diego, and now San Francisco - because of his research conferences and a medical jeopardy tournament.  The two best things about these trips are that 1) his portion is paid for, and 2) I have very kind parents who are willing to watch the chicklets while we go on these weekend getaways.
When we arrived in SF we got a public transportation pass that included the buses and trolleys and it was a pretty slick way to get around the city.

View of Alcatraz island from the mainland.

The Bay Bridge.

We tried to capture the steepness of the streets on camera but it was more dramatic (and tiring) in person.

We took an elevator up to the top of Coit Tower to see views of the city, like this one.

My husband is a little boy.  One who is really good at climbing trees.

Lombard Street - the famous windy portion.

Ghirardelli Square was a chocolate lovers' paradise, but I have to admit that I felt a little sick near the end of my giant sundae.

Look at all that chocolate...

We went to this cool-looking chapel for church on Sunday.  It was gorgeous inside.

Scott worked with a group on some GI research that he presented at a liver conference in SF.  Turns out his poster was given the Presidential Distinction Award.  He was pretty surprised.  I was proud of him even though I thought his poster was boring. :)

I was really excited that I got my own conference badge!  I wandered around to see what food and miscellaneous freebies the pharm reps would give me.  It was fun.

The Golden Gate Bridge.

We aren't actually members of the Liver Group but one of the doctors invited us to their bash at City Hall.  It was the most beautifully ornate building and the food was fantastic!  We were about 20 years younger than just about everyone else there but we didn't care.

The sushi bar at the city hall party.

Here's a fun little video Scott took from a moving trolley car.


We went to the Oakland temple VERY early on our last morning there.  My parents were married there and I had never been so it was cool to see.  Really beautiful with all the lights.


On our last afternoon we took a boat over to Alcatraz island because we had heard so many good things about the tour.

Scott in a cell, lamenting the turn his life has taken.

Here's a little video of what it sounded like when all the cell doors were shut at once.


Back at home, here are some miscellaneous pictures from November.  Double piggy back ride:

Kate's preschool Thanksgiving feast.  I love her preschool.  They do a lot of cute things.

This seems like forever ago!  A girls' night out, dinner and a movie.  I think we're due for another one of these.

Cute moment with the kids' friends.
     

10 comments:

Jennie said...

My parents were married there too! San Fran is such a fun place to be a tourist!

And being able to go to Dr. parties are fun too! I just went with Trevor to his work Christmas party and it was amazing. It was grand to have delicious food, a great date, no kids, and a beautiful building...and it was free!

Marleen said...

What a fun time! Loved the pictures. Jennifer - you look like a movie star in the picture with Scott (and Alcatraz in the background) - like the hair. Loved the Oakland Temple pics and, of course the girls at the end.

Marleen said...

Looks like a pretty impressive presentation, Scott - good job!

Marleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DelinClint said...

The pic of Jen w/ GG in the background looks like some modern art piece. Gotta love those exhilirating parties with the Liver Group

Camille said...

Fun looking trip =) I'm still annoyed that I declined going to SF like 15 years ago with everyone when we were at grandmas.... I think it was because I thought I'd get carsick. P.S.... The double piggy back picture with Janie and Kate is so cute!

Lisa said...

Wow, looks like you have had fun! I've never been to San Francisco and would love to someday. Seems like things are going well for your family and career. What wonderful opportunities!

Also, we got your Christmas card and thought it was splendid! We'd sure love to see you guys sometime. It finally snowed today after having a few weeks without. We're excited about that. Take care.

Cannon said...

What a fun trip! And even though that chocolate roller looks like a large hunk of sausage covered in chocolate, it still strangely makes me hungry ;).

Your Christmas letter was beautiful, by the way! It was waiting for us when we got back from Puerto Rico, and we loved it!

Pops said...

Please let me know the next time Scott does a liver poster. I need to somehow get access to one of those sushi spreads.

Pops said...

Please let me know the next time Scott does a liver poster. I need to somehow get access to one of those sushi spreads.