Sunday, May 21, 2006

Agony of Defeat


It's worth a post just describing how I got to this point. First I had to wait a week for the pictures to arrive, since of course I didn't take my own, then I couldn't make the post work from work. (I have too much work to do at home, so I only do personal stuff at work.) Then this morning I realized I (i) couldn't log on (had to send an e-mail to get not only my password but my id), (ii) posted the wrong picture (couldn't figure out how to back up), (iii) couldn't find the e-mail that had the original pictures in it (30 minutes later, I found it in the wrong file), (iv) couldn't get the picture to an accessible location (so I sent it to my AOL account), (v) still couldn't get the picture to my desktop (so I loaded it into My Pictures, which is a disorganized mess). Anyway, not sure it is worth all the trouble, but this is a picture of me in Michael's home in Richmond, Virginia, which is the capital of the confederacy. My nephew Matthew plotted all weekend to get me into a chess game. Finally, at 10:30 on a Saturday night (prime time for me, as you know) I ran out of excuses. Fortunately the game didn't last very long. He complimented me on lasting for 30 minutes, but that is because each move required about 5 minutes for me. Not to worry, I grasped at the compliment like a drowning victim of the Titanic. Turns out he takes lessons from the local grandmaster and has a ranking from the official sanctioning body which somewhat equates to a zero golf handicap. Might as well have tried to hit a Brad Lidge slider, if only Brad were that persistent in getting me to the plate.

4 comments:

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott said...

The post was worth it. I'm glad you went the distance. Perhaps Jen should type out the blog instructions and have you take them to work:)

Judging by the picture, you really did look like you're at your best. A good way out of this one would have been to pretend to fall asleep (or not pretend) and fall backwards on your seat kicking the table and knocking over the chess board. You'd have to call it a draw. You're a good sport for even agreeing to play him. If your chess self-esteem is low right now we can play in Texas to boost it again.

Pops said...

i wanna know what that other comment was

Anonymous said...

Scott says it just had a grammar error. Dad, I like how you said you only do personal things at work now.