Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Talented and the Talenty

Here is Jen's latest piano ditty. Note the near disaster at the beginning with the upside down music - and my stupid little laugh. Jen's talent may be the piano, but I think my talent of steady-handed filming is pretty fantastic. This piece is titled "Suggestion Diabolique" written by Sergei Prokofiev. I've heard it said that babies in utero are influenced by the kind of music they listen to. Based on the title you can come to your own conclusions about how this next one might turn out.

So Kate has come up with some of her own adjectives, which we think are so good we've adopted them. One of them is the word "droppy." That describes something that is prone to falling. The other day we were eating lunch and Kate said "don't be mad about the strawberry." We could tell she was trying to pre-empt the parental correction she knew was coming about dropping food. I picked it up and put it back on her tray. She didn't like the spot I chose and relocated it to the edge of her tray. She said she liked it there "'cause it be's a very droppy place." Thus, the title of this post. (Jen is talented and I'm just talenty - potential without achievement.)

It's a modern piece so it has more dissonance (notes don't sound nice together - convenient), but still has great personality. It's such a treat to listen to Jen play at home. I love my talented juke box. Hope you like it. By the way, the piano Jen is playing is worth over $200,000! Ferrari or piano....hmmmmm.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it! I heard from Mom Swendsen that Scott liked to play the piano after you, Jen, and pretend like he was pounding on the same keys you were (somewhere in the middle of the piece). As I listened to this song and thought of its personality, I thought of Reese. Very beautiful, very spunky, and very sneaky. If your next little one is anything like this song, you will be very lucky - and have your hands FULL!

Jenny Bay said...

That was great, Jen! I am so impressed. I'm curious to know how you find enough time to practice as a mom, that is something I am trying to work on, and it is hard sometimes! Do you still teach a lot? Oh and by the way, you look so cute too!

Anonymous said...

Great, JENNIFER!!!!!! Cute, KATELYN!!!!!!


Christine

Marleen said...

Great post! I thoroughly enjoyed the piece, Jennifer. I miss you practicing here at home - but, I admire the fact that you actually find time to practice. Scott and Kate are funny.

Anonymous said...

It's about time someone put another post on this lame blog... I heard piano is becoming an olympic sport in the future.. you should look into it :)

Austin

Pops said...

Nice catch on getting the music switched there, Jennifer, though some might say Prokofiev sounds somewhat similar upside down. Admittedly it would be difficult to play the whole piece with your arms crossed, though. No offense, but I vote for the Porsche, only to make sure you get to your concerts on time, of course.

Kim said...

I heard it live. It was amazing. The oh so talented Jen!

Jenny said...

That was great! What was the occasion for the performance? Way to go learning new pieces!

DelinClint said...

daaaang child

Melissa said...

That was amazing! You have such a gift. I loved it.