Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Halloween and Kate's 3rd Birthday

I may have gone a little overboard on this post - I just uploaded 30 photos - but it seems like we've had lots of events lately, or maybe we've just been taking too many pictures.

I got to go to Kate's preschool class on Halloween dress-up day and watch her interact with the other kids. This picture doesn't illustrate my point very well, but it was entertaining to observe the social habits of girls v. boys - even at age 3 the girls spent most of their time huddled together in a little group talking and giggling while the boys were each in their own separate world playing with whatever toy seemed coolest, and hardly interacting with each other at all.

With her cute friend Nadia.

Kate was quite obsessed with her fairy costume and she pretty much hasn't taken off the skirt since Halloween (except when forced).

Jane didn't know how ridiculous we'd made her look but she was her usual cheerful self in the toasty-warm costume.



On Halloween morning we went to Gardner Village to check out this year's creative witch displays. Kate also scored a pony ride there.



This one was my favorite. It was huge.



Jane at Gardner Village, not that you can tell...



Kate was pretty wary of sitting by this witch.

On Halloween night Kate assumed the ready position with her trick-or-treat bag. She meant business.

First we stopped by our ward Halloween party for some chili and to check out everyone else's costumes. There were some great ones. Can you tell who this family dressed up like?

This one is pretty obvious.

Kate and Sophie enjoying their pre-Trick or Treat candy.


Here's a look at our group. Me - Wendy, Scott - Peter Pan, Jane - Nana, Kate - Tinkerbell.



Beckoning the Lost Boys. Scott made his entire costume. The hat and skirt were basically made from green felt and staples. He says he gained a new appreciation for what girls go through after spending the whole evening in tights and a skirt. His comment? "I think tights are kind of slimming."

Flying. An elderly woman in the ward approached me to tell me that she has the exact same nightgown. Cute...

Kate has the misfortune of having her birthday on the day after a holiday. Here's a look at the post-Halloween birthday breakfast - bacon, a Blowpop, and Raisin Bran, all at her request.

I like this picture because I think it captures some of my favorite aspects of Kate's personality - she is sweet and grateful and so enthusiastic. I feel very blessed to be her mom.

Did I say she was grateful? I meant MOST of the time. Here's a sad face when she got a princess birthday card and realized she doesn't own a real princess dress like the one on the card. Oh well, can't win them all.

I felt a little guilty for not planning a party for her so I put a little more effort into her cake than usual. (Remember last year's "poop cake"?)
Here's last year's model in case you forgot. In my defense, it tasted good.

These three people are pretty dear to me. :) Happy birthday, Kate! We love you.

A kind family in our ward gave us some tickets to the Jazz v. Rockets game on Monday night. We invited Laura, Ben, Clint, and Becky and cheered shamelessly for the visiting team. It was a sweet victory for Houston! An unanticipated side effect of bringing Kate to the game is that she has a new group of idols - the Jazz dancers. She was mesmerized every time they came out onto the court and stood up to try to mimic all of their moves. At one point she turned to Scott, frustrated, and said, "I have to take my pants off so I can look like them!" Oh dear.
Clint was the only one with authentic Rockets wear but we wore our red. Becky was a big hit with Kate who had a blast playing with her. Hey Clint, why haven't you blogged about your engagement?

Ben caught a basketball launched by the Jazz mascot via slingshot. I don't think it was meant for a Rockets fan. :) He kindly gave it to Kate, who was thrilled.

Jane will be six months old on Sunday, so last night we busted out the rice cereal. As you can see, she was pretty pumped about solid food.

Notice whose hand is dishing out the goods. I'm not sure who was more excited, Jane or Kate.

9 comments:

sam and brittney said...

Happy belated b-day Kate!! I can't believe that she is 3 years old. I can remember visiting her in the hospital right after she was born. Oh man, this post made me laugh so hard for 4 reasons:
1. Scott in tights! Enough said. They were slimming on him! Loved it!
2. The poop cake from last year! You did redeem yourself with the cute cake this year!
3. How the elderly lady came up to you and said she had the same nightgown. Awesome!
4. Kate's comment about wanting to look like the Jazz dancers but needed to take off her pants first! True.
Thanks for the laughs! Miss you guys! Congrats to Clint for getting engaged! She is a cutie! I want to hear the story.

Marleen said...

What a wonderful post!!! Love all the pictures - it's hard to pick favorites on this one! I thought you did a great job making your costume, Scott - and Jennifer, I love the picture of you "flying" - =). Loved the contrast between Kate's enthusiasm in opening presents to the "let down" when she didn't have the princess dress - my fault on that one! And, finally, I loved the picture of Kate feeding Jane - priceless!

DelinClint said...

awesome

Jennie said...

I love all the new posts and pics! Jane is getting SOO BIG! She's so adorable too! I bet you can't get enough of her cute chubbs.

Way to go Scott, wearing tights!

Christine said...

Wow. That was a good, hearty post! I love it! I love all the costumes, the giggling girls in groups at pre-school, the elegant birthday cake, the basketball game pictures, and finally, the kate-feeding-jane-picture! Awesome.

Christine <3

Pops said...

Yes, it was a long post but it ended way too soon. I scrolled from photo to photo, enthralled and laughing all the way. Very good assembly, Jennifer. Scott, that takes a lot of confidence, you're a better man than me.

Anonymous said...

Alright pops I have a problem with your comment above^^^^ and other comments. If I wore those tights I think there would be countless questions about my sexual preference. And all people can say is "wow you are a man Scott". Other than that sweet post.

Austin

DelinClint said...

austin if you wore those tights you would be beating the chicks back with a stick. mono and everything.

Alisa and Crowells said...

I LOVE Kate's adorable costume. She's 3!!! Where does time go anyway!! Jane certainly looked darling in her cozy costume!! Way cute girls!!!