Sunday, January 23, 2011

Houston, holes, and holidays

Someday we will not be playing major catch-up when we post, but today is not that day. I decided to take a break from watching Modern Family on Hulu, annoying Clint with my wandering toes, and taking frequent cat naps to bloggity-bloop about what we have been doing lately.
Since moving to the (usually) warm and sunny Houston, this has been our "home position": Clint either sits on the couch, the floor, the dining room table, or in his office (aka "the hole") to read and watch lectures (and to eat, when I feel like feeding him). I, being his ever-dutiful wife, hover nearby. This means I am either cooking, cleaning the bathroom sink (b/c it is somehow never clean), yogging (my feeble attempt at running), reading, coloring, watching NCIS, or sleeping in the fetal position on the couch beside the studying Clint. If he gets out of line or his mind starts wandering, it is my job to tell Clint, "Go to your hole!" But, because I like him so much, I generally fail at that job.

{there's Clint memorizing the name of brain wrinkles. and there's the trouble-maker about to tickle Clint then swiftly assume the fetal position to sleep.}

When we are not in our home positions, we are generally in one of three places: {1} At work/school (that would mean William R. Zweifel, PC for Becky and UTH for Clint); {2} At church or a church-related function (Clint is now Young Men's secretary & I am a Relief Society teacher); or {3} Asleep in our lovely new bed which we love immensely (thank you Mark & Marleen!!!).

BUT if we are NOT in one of the usual non-home-positions, we are doing something like (but not limited to) the following {click on the pics for a better view}:


homemade sushi nights

{we are basically sushi masters now. arigato.}

kayaking along the Buffalo Bayou
{my boss gave us her tickets for this kayaking tour when she found out she was pregnant and her husband wouldn't allow her to do any strenuous activity. thank you baby zweifel!}

Always a party in Galveston
{clint was also nice enough to take me surfing when we first moved here. it was a fun little adventure and we learned a valuable lesson: do not book plane tickets while simultaneously napping under the galveston rays. it will not turn out well.}

Christmas cruisin' with the Mortensen gang (just a few of the highlights)...

*ugly Christmas sweater night
{i called my mom before the cruise and told her it may be fun to do our own version of the traditional holiday "ugly sweater party" while on the cruise. she proceeded to make the most sparkly, clay-mation-themed Christmas sweatshirts I have ever seen (which we wore to Christmas Eve dinner, of course). some people thought we were cute; some people thought we were crazy. either way, we had a blast! and if med school doesn't work out, i think clint could have a career in professional modeling! BONUS!}

*Christmas Eve pajama time

{clint and i got to live a childhood fantasy--- to own footie pajamas!}

*soakin' up the atlantic rays as we sailed passed cuba... we think it was cuba, anyways...

{and yes, that is my father with a towel over his head---clint is probably hoping he won't have to do that any time soon. and my funny toes are on debut in the other shot (if you have never seen them up close, you must!)}

*"raro"-ness en costa maya
{the photographer made us say, "guacamole!" as he snapped the shot, but I am pretty sure I'm saying "Where are my CHEEEETOS?!" in a creepy voice & Clint is singing a Mexican ballad}
*the decades dance on the deck

{clint kept claiming he was only there for the mexican buffet, but i think it is evident by his dance moves that he was eager to show off more than his eating skills. as the young kids say, "No frontin' G, Clint got some mad skilz!"}

*paparazzi
{i took it upon myself to spy on my little sister when the opportunity presented itself. Later on, when Clint and I asked her about her friend she said that he was cute but not intelligent enough to peak her interest. We teased her for that comment, of course, but deep down I was very proud ;) }

*star climbers

{I don't mean to brag, but when we were entered against our will in a climbing competition, Clint and I rose to the challenge. We both walked away with medals: out of the 3 females competing, I received the bronze, and Clint received the gold out of... well, out of 1. But that didn't hinder our feelings of accomplishment one bit.}


*not pictured here:
zip-lining through the Mexican jungle, snorkeling in Cozumel, Clint and Spencer in the Sexy Legs Competition (they were beat out by an 80 year old man who did 50+ push-ups in front of the judges...), lots and lots of eating, a teeny tiny shower which flooded the bathroom floor, full-body massages, and much more.

A few important things to add:
-We did celebrate our 1 year anniversary in December. We spent it at La Torretta Lake Resort in Lake Conroe. It was beautiful---freezing--- but absolutely lovely, but in a brief lapse into lameness I forgot to take pictures. I must say that, after a year of marriage, I have no doubt that I married my prince charming.
-This past week we camped out (literally) on the front lawn of student housing to reserve our apartment for the upcoming school year. It was one of the most cut-throat, hilarious things I have ever been a part of. Hopefully it worked!
-And last but not least---

Happy 2011, family!

9 comments:

Cannon said...

You may have to click on a few of the pictures that got cut off on the sides. Especially if you are interested at all in seeing my "Cheeeetos" face.

DelinClint said...

Nice work Beck. And thank you for using the word "literally" correctly. That puts you in a very select group!

Hope to see more activity on this blog! We will commit to do the same. Maybe.

JenSwen said...

Becky, you are hilarious! I loved this post and it made me miss you guys. We will post soon as well.

Anonymous said...

Marleen said...

Becky - I loved this post!!! Great pictures and very funny commentary. I sympathize with your toes (as I have some unique ones myself, as Mark loves to talk about when he is bored - at least once a day). It's hard to believe you guys have been married for over a year now.

Cannon said...

Jen- We miss you, too! I was looking at some wedding pics last night and couldn't believe how much your girls have grown this past year!

Marleen- Clint comments on my toes almost daily as well! I didn't know you had funny toes, too?! This is very exciting.

Camille said...

This was great! Becky you are so funny!! I loved the pictures, especially the first one and the paparazzi one haha. i loved that yall made sushi... i will do that someday (when i have a family) so i don't feel so lame making it for myself.... anyways love you guys and hope to see you and clint somewhat-soon. =) =)

Christine said...

I think this blog was so hilariously comical -- yes, i said hilariously comical -- that I had such a diversity of comments that I actually wrote it out on una hoja de papel and bullet-ed it:)


-"Bloggity bloop" :P

- I've actually made homemade sushi before too but mi familia doesn't support me as much as clint supports you, so I didn't have all the fancy stuff. I just had the basics like the seaweed (spelling?), the sushi rice, the sushi oil or whatever you put in the sushi rice to make it stick, and just vegetable to put inside it. I guess I did have crab meat, but what I'm saying is that I didn't have the soy sauce or the sauce you put on it, and i only made one kind, and it wasn't as pretty as yours. I just like to make it :))

- Oh how I love tu familia!!! From "ugly Christmas sweater parties" to rock climbing, dancing through the decades, tanning with tu padre with the towel, all the way to Clint singing "ay, ay, ay, ay" in "Cielito Lindo" i'm assuming for the mexican ballad while wearing a mexican sombrero. Oh how it fits his character so well!!

- Nice cheeeeeetos face :P It looks like ya'll had uber fun on the cruise. Oh yes. And i did say uber ;)

- By the way, your toes aren't that bad! I actually have to admit that I had no idea what you were talking about when I read the caption about your toes because I didn't see anything wrong with them til i read these previous comments v.

Scott said...

Ummm...I'd like seconds please. What a funny, dynamic post! You've set the bar awfully high. It's funny how over time you can collect enough fun pictures that it appears that your life is really only travelling and leisure. But I would believe from this post that's what your life really is. Can't wait for more.

Pops said...

What a great post! Lots of talented people on this blog, we really should work harder at it, thanks for the example. Can't believe Clint still owns his Truitt t-shirt. As they say, if 7th grade was your best year, you might be a redneck.