Monday, May 16, 2011

Thank You, Houston!

I am going to apologize in advance for how much this post talks about me. See, we have no chilluns, I don't play any interesting instruments, we no longer go to dance parties, and currently Clint is holed-up in the study cave and does a whole lot of this:
(Sorry, I don't know why the table looks like it is 500 degrees and slightly radio-active.)
So, for the sake of the family blog I will post a lot of picture of inanimate objects and hope that you don't mind too much and that you understand that some day we will have exciting things to tell you about, but today is just not that day.

Here are some recent bummers in the Thurbito Dos family:

-Really bad traffic after really heavy rain on my third trip to the DPS since moving here---yeah, 3 trips in 7 months is kind of pathetic, I know. You have my permission to pity me right now.

-A stress fracture in my new pants. Embarrassing!

-Stuck in some more heavy traffic on a beautiful sunny day on my way home from work (by way of Ikea) on a Friday.

-Some very angry, very hungry little birds have made their homes in our home.

-Tax season at work + exam season at home + too much time watching depressing movies on TCM
without Clint supervision= short, stubby fingernails again.

And here are some reccent things that aren't bummers:
-Exam season and some recent cooler days have also brought back the wooly mammoths (Clint's socks, not his legs...)

-I have recently discovered the scrumtiousness of combining Cafe Express sweet potato fries and a Pepsi Max. But I would settle for the fries alone, if it came down to that.
Seriously good stuff. 

-Clint's study-time has also allowed me ample time to get DOMESTIC! This is the stack of mending I've completed (now to tackle Clint's half of the closet!). Also, the living room has been rearranged, wall shelves have been hung, our bathrooms have been decorated, our bedroom has been bedazzled, and (thanks to Mark, Marleen, Christine, and the Ford-- thank you all so very much!) a large all-mirror coffee table has replaced the huge red ottoman in the middle of the living room. Yay for Domesticity! Oh and please don't think I am bragging. I'm just happy it actually looks like our place is inhabited by permanent residents now. (Plus, there is still a shameful pile of things that need to be stored and several sports-themed items to be hung in Clint's man-cave of an office.)
 
-Also thanks to Mark and Marleen, we are enjoying many-an-Astros game. Complete with All-Star Hot Dogs, hard-core fans, and...

this crazy guy who saved us from our sadness at the end of Friday's game (as the Astros were tanking in the most depressing way possible). This fan ran across the outfield, skirted around the first security guard and hopped the outfield fence, evaded the guard in the stands by jumping from row to row of chairs, then just when he was surrounded and the situation looked all-too-grim, he grabbed ahold of the clover-covered roof, pulled himself on top, waded through the foliage, and made his escape. And then got caught outside the stadium apparently. But I would like to think that's just an attempt to cover up the fact that one guy got past several guards while the whole crowd cheered him on...

-And then there were fireworks! Dedicated to the ladies, whatever that means.
 
-Whistler's Nocturne in Black and Gold, anyone?

-Fireworks--the skyline as the backdrop, in a baseball stadium, set to country music... A perfectly patriotic ending
to a lovely Friday game. 

-Exams also mean that Clint gets lots of homemade treats. Peanut butter sugar cookies with chocolates loves on top.
 
-And last, but not least, the much-needed rain (hallelujah!) brought with it one of those famous Texas sunsets. Right to our doorstep.
Thank you, Houston!

8 comments:

DelinClint said...

Here is the youtube link for The Great Fan Escape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7B4gic1-qU

It has almost 1 million views in 3 short days. I posted this on facebook when it had like 300 views Saturday morning. I felt the need to reward such a well-executed effort if the guy really did get caught outside.

While pondering the great escape on the train home, I realized this was awesome because it's something you would see straight out of an action movie, never in real life. That's why I think people are resonating with this

Pops said...

Becky, so, you were cheering for the escaped prisoner instead of the guards? Not the law and order type I see. Astros security takes this thing very seriously, you know, to the point Drayton decided to sell the team.

JenSwen said...

Those sweet potato fries look and sound heavenly. I am a fan of all things sweet potato anyway but those look out of this world!

I LOVE the great fan escape movie!! It really is awesome that his getaway actually worked. Those guards looked pretty slow though.

Becky, I don't think I was ever as nice to Scott during exam time as you are to Clint. He's a lucky guy. If I baked any treats I'm sure it was with an ulterior motive. Also, someday when we have money can I just hire you to be our decorator? Fun for you and a relief for me?

Thanks for keeping us updated. Your posts are far from boring, no chilluns required.

P.S. Kate says your face in the pic from the Astros game is hilarious.

Marleen said...

What a great post - Becky you are so talented (I love your commentary). Yes, you have an eye for what looks good, too - home decor, clothing, etc. It's nice to have you in the fam! Love ya!

Christine said...

Oh how I love our blog with both Becky and Jen being the two main contributors:)))

Anonymous said...

hahaha the fan escape made my week. sweet blog!

Anonymous said...

Austin^

Scott said...

Great post Becky. I love the picture and video of the great escape. Like Clint, I wonder why we all rally around the perp. It might be partly because we all want to defy authority to some degree and stick it to the man. Nothing say "the man" like some out-of-shape killjoy security guards.