Friday, May 30, 2008

Nani Palekaiko


I'm a little short on time, so this one will be almost entirely a photo documentary! For me this last little while was a little more limited activity-wise, due to a naaasty sunburn. However, we did spend almost all of Memorial Day out and about, so most of my pictures are from then, so yes, I do change my clothes.

This was dance number three. I suggested a nerd theme and this is us after, costumes half-dismantled and all of us completely wiped before we remembered to get a picture. Willy is in the background.

Night life in Honolulu. This is a real guy. He wasn't very good, but when they do it right, they look totally like a statue. Their favorite thing to do is to move suddenly any time a female approaches for a close inspection.

Kelly and Jess after a spill. This particular wait for the bus took forever. You can tell by their faces whether any injuries were sustained.

Assembled on Pride Rock between crashes of waves. It was like the splash zone at Sea World.

Waiting for the bus after van #2 broke down halfway to Waikiki. The entire trip took four hours due to car trouble and bus slowness, but it was totally worth the wait.


Watch closely to see exactly what he's doing. Coolest thing I've ever seen.


CPS doesn't make it to Hawaii very often I guess. This is from the same show as video #1 (the world fireknife competition, and there were contestants from literally everywhere), but it's the junior division. This kid is anywhere from 6-11 and he's spinning a pole with a burning knife on one end. Just another day in the south Pacific...

Melanie, Kelly, Jess, Brooke

Hanauma Bay, Oahu's best snorkeling spot. We rode mopeds here on a really scenic mountain road. It was beautiful...

Chillin

me, Courtney, Britney, Tony, Emerson

On the bus

Me and my boy Addison = moped thugs. What we didn't know as this picture was taken was that Jess (pictured with a confidence-emanating grin below) had crashed into a stone wall about half a mile behind us and we were waiting in vain. We went back to help Jake help her and the girl who hopped into the ditch on her moped right after her.


The moped gang. Not sure where I was. Maybe taking the picture?

The first van party. This was the first time any of us had ever really met, a few days after we all got to Oahu.

Still thuggin it with Addy-Bear (huggy...bear?)

Kickin it with Sarah. Poor oblivious white fool on the beach has no idea what is happening to his back as this picture is snapping. The result is below, two days before it even reached its climax (blistering)


Candid shot of Kelly and me out on the reef where the waves were crashing really big.

Self-explanatory. This is probably pretty close to what I looked like all semester in Organic Chemistry.

Saved by the bell? Steve, Tony, Jake, me, Sarah, Melanie, Addison

Tony ripping. This was a huge day on north shore two days after my burn, so naturally, incapacitated as I was, I made a good photographer.

Oh that reminds me of another quick surfing story. At the end of our adventure at Waikiki on Memorial Day we went for a sunset longboarding sesh out in front of the resorts. The waves were waist-high or so and the water was nearly empty - a longboarder's paradise. Anyway at one point Tony and I were on the same wave. We decided to play chicken (cut toward each other) and I bailed since there was reef around (or because I'm a pansy, one of the two.) So I jumped off the back of my board, and my board stayed on the wave, so Tony jumped onto mine to see how long he could take it. My leash eventually ran out and so the board jerked to a halt and he got launched off the front of it. Hilarious. Maybe you had to be there.

Well, why weren't you? What are you waiting for?!

3 comments:

JenSwen said...

I don't think I've ever seen a funner set of pictures. Except for the sunburn one, of course.

I'm proud to say that I was on the phone with Clint when the girls' shopping cart spill occurred. It was almost like I was there...

Anonymous said...

Clint - I would love to be there, but...well, we have lives here on
the mainland. =) I second Jennifer
as to how interesting (funny) these
pictures are. Kind of random, but
great - post more!

Mom

Pops said...

I like how the Stupid Factory is so close to the blister picture. I love it that you are having so much fun there. This is a break you truly need -- and I can't think of a more deserving person.

Have fun and keep the photos winging back across the water.