Off to Lowe's. I had a $10 coupon so Home Depot didn't get a piece of this project. Too bad for them and wonderful for Lowe's since the price of the materials pushed $200. That means my discount was 5% for all you math whizzes and whizzettes. The net discount was even less since I got all the way home and found the coupon still in my pocket. Back to Lowes (gas $1.79/gallon) to beg the manager to honor the coupon which he was happy to do when I mentioned the price of a finished table at the other store -- uncomfortably close to the cost of the raw materials.
Rushed home and got out my tools. No hurry as it turned out. Took all week (sorry clients) but here is the masterpiece in all its unvarnished glory made completely with Black & Decker cordless guy stuff (11 battery charges to make the cuts and drill holes and tap screws -- if you must know).
This first one is the front view. I know it doesn't look expensive but the legs alone were very pricy since those 4x4 posts are cedar heartwood. I am not picky -- that was all they had and I felt too lazy to check out another store. Those legs despite their price look pretty primitive but I'll never have termites.

These next two pictures show some corner detail, top and bottom. Very precise workmanship. Sometimes it took two or three cuts before I got it just right -- translation: gave up.


I think the fit of that bottom shelf is especially noteworthy. Looks like Fred got some help from Barney on that one. Finally, the wheels. These actually work because I bought them assembled. No chance for me to screw it up. The blue paint from the factory cut on the plywood is a nice touch. That is the only side of the shelf I didn't cut three times.

Big assist from Christine who was there every step of the way and got to operate the cordless drill. Austin was there in spirit, and Marleen refrained from derogatory comments for the most part. I consider this project part of my honey-do list (added it myself then crossed it off) but that is not a unanimous opinion.
8 comments:
Now...on to the original honey-do
=)
Hilarious, Dad! Great writing. The bench looks great and it sounds like you had fun making it. And way to go Christine - you now know more about operating a power drill (and building stuff in general) than I do.
thanks, jen! great post, dad!
Christine
It's not my fault family guy was was followed by lost...
Austin
Just FYI - I am going private with my blog, so if you want to keep reading my blog (or begin reading it!), I need your email address! Either leave it as a comment on my blog
www.allamericanadian.blogspot.com
or email me at
jeswen.33 AT hotmail DOT com. Thanks!
Brian and Jessica Swendsen
geez get some rims or something for those tire-wheels, which are like 7X smaller than the leg post itself. just fyi
preferrably spinners so when you roll up next to the other guy´s bench you can represent
OK, somebody else post now before I get carried away on spinning rims for garage appliances. Somebody stop me.
Post a Comment