The photo documentary:
Becky singing and dancing in the car on the way down
A view of the landscape coming into the greater Los Angeles area from the west side
The famous Beverly Hills sign! We stayed here at Sam and Ned's place. Some of their notable neighbors: Ryan Phillippe, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Jennifer Aniston

2 of their 3 cars were electric, including this one, which Sam insisted we drive on the way to Episcopal Mass on Sunday morning. No resistance from me. The best way I can think to describe its acceleration when the light turned green is the start of the "Greased Lightning" roller coaster at Six Flags. I got that same feeling in my chest. (Sam told me to make sure I "punch it" at least once.) Also it's crazy how quiet these things are. It sounds like you've stalled a manual transmission, but it's totally still on.

Less than an hour after we got there, we went to an Italian place on Sunset and passed Kate Bosworth in the doorway of the restaurant. Apparently she looked right at Becky (a friend said trying to figure out what movie she had seen her in.) None of us actually recognized her except Becky, who listed some notable movies from her filmography, and then I put it together. (Remember the Titans, Win a Date with Tad Hamilton, Blue Crush, Superman Returns.) Becky and I felt so goofy after this accidental run-in that we went for a walk on Sunset after dinner and shamelessly scanned the dinner crowds outside of each cafe, looking for another celebrity.

T-1000, the bad cop who chases the Terminator, is apparently Episcopalian and a member of Sam's congregation. I felt like yelling "DON'T BELIEVE HIM!" as he turned around to shake Sam's hand and say "peace" near the end of Mass. His real name is Robert Patrick and he is a really nice and humble guy. (Also the father of Johnny Cash in "Walk the Line," as well as tons of other small roles in movies.)

Sunday we went down to Seaport Village to soak in the views of San Diego Bay. We stopped in this hat store and tried to blend in.
There was also a guy "balancing" rocks. This had to be some gimmick. There was a slight breeze so there's no way these things were staying up, but just about everybody but me believed it.
Our Memorial Day surf spot this time was Malibu, mostly because neither of us had ever been there. We paid dearly for this choice traffic-wise, but it was a pretty place with gentle waves that day.
I love this picture.
A view of the pier behind Beck, who was looking like a natural.
These are the "we are probably getting sunburned right now but we are stoked to be over 10 hours from Provo" faces.
On our way out of Hollywood the last night, we stopped at Roscoe's House of Chicken n' Waffles, for the most scrumptious soul food imaginable. The place was loud and raucous, and we were literally the only 2 white people there. Found out later this is Snoop's favorite dig.

Becky stuntin' after a successful night in what turned out to be a "junior scout tent." 6'x5', meaning I couldn't fully extend my legs the entire night. A miserable experience I hope to never even think about again. Bless you, Wal-Mart, for letting us return that tent.
Well that's all, folks. We are stoked to hopefully at least see Dad when he comes up for the Utah Valley Marathon this weekend. We should then get to see Christine and Austin at the end of July before we make the trek down to Houston.
Until next time!
6 comments:
Fun pictures - glad you guys had a good time.
I think we need more pics of you and less of me in this post! But thank you for putting this on the blog! Such a fun trip with you... xo
Clint, great post, you certainly know how to have a good name. Glad you didn't make a scene in church, though.
I mean "good time". Don't know where that one came from, or what the significance is.
Clint, what do you mean Austin and I are going to see ya'll at the end of July?
Post a Comment